• Get Divorced...
    Without Lawyers...
    101% Guaranteed.

    Are you Qualified to Get a
    Do It Yourself Divorce?

Welcome to the Support/FAQs Page !


We've put together the following resources to help you get the most out of your Divorce Do It Yourself Service Package.


State Divorce Laws






Contact Us


State Divorce Laws and Guidelines


State Divorce Laws Related: State Divorce Laws

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

U.S. State Divorce Questions:

Our Service:

Types of Divorces we do:

General Divorce Questions:

Do you have a question not answered here? Contact Us below.


All tutorials are graphical step-by-step "How-To" instructions.
Learn how to setup:

Contact Us

Or use the automated contact system:

U.S. State Divorce Questions:

How long does a divorce take in my State?
This question depends on the state you are in. See our State Divorce Laws page. For example: a divorce in Michigan takes 60 days without children and 180 days (6 months) with children. This time period begins from the time you first file your first papers with the court. Call your Circuit Court in your county to find out your exact "Waiting Period".
Back To Top / See Prices


Can the waiting period be waived?
The state-mandated waiting period is part of the divorce process and requirements. Yes, sometimes it can be waived under special circumstances (ex: domestic violence); where one spouse has to get out of the relationship quickly to protect against potential harm. However, you really have to convince the courts that your case is special (deserves exemption from the waiting period). Doing that requires a lawyer. We do simple uncontested cases and can't move you around the laws.
Back To Top / See Prices


What are my State's Divorce Laws?

Read about your State Divorce Laws here.

What are the Court Costs in my State?
The Court Costs are NOT included with our Service. When you first take your papers to the Court, there will be a Court fee, which pays for the Judge and the Court Clerks. It is usually around $75-150 dollars. Also, if you have children, there is a usually a fee associated with a Children's Office. That fee is usually around $75. All states and counties are different. Call the Court in your County to check on the exact fees. Your County Courthouse’s phone number should be available in the County Government section of the phone book.
Back To Top / See Prices

My Spouse and I now live in different States?
This doesn't matter in a divorce for the most part. Just make sure you fulfill the Residency Requirement in the State that you currently live in. You can get divorced in the State where you live. However, if your spouse is out of the Country, you will either need that Spouse to sign the divorce papers or you can do a Missing Spouse Divorce if you cannot locate him/her.
Back To Top / See Prices

We were Married in one State and now Live in another State?
This doesn't matter in a divorce for the most part at all. Just make sure you fulfill the Residency Requirement in the State that you currently live in. You can get divorced in the State where you live.
Back To Top / See Prices

Residency Requirements:

Residency plays an important part in all the divorces. Residency requirements are State mandated and therefore out of our hands.

  1. You Do Qualify for Residency
    You would file in the county and state where your feet are on the ground at the moment, provided you qualify for residency in that State. "Your home is where you hang your hat."
  2. You Don't Qualify for Residency
    If you don't qualify for residency in the State where you are currently living, you most likely would file in the prior state where you lived (qualified for residency). But, you must travel there a couple times. At least once to file the forms at the court initially and at the end to attend your final hearing. Traveling like this is not the preferred method, for obvious reasons.
  3. You Wait Until You Qualify for Residency
    If you don't qualify for residency in the State where you are currently living and you don't want to travel to your old State, then you can wait until you obtain residency in the current State. Many of our customers are in this situation. You can still use our service now and then file your divorce forms on the day you qualify for residency. Remember, we have unlimited adjustments to the forms. So, if you move or change situations, while you are waiting for residency, we can still do the adjustments for you. No problem.

To learn more about the Residency Requirements in your state visit the State Divorce Laws.

Back To Top / See Prices


Our Service:


What is the price?

Visit the State Prices Pages for the answer.

How long until I get my divorce forms, after I submit the Questionnaire?
The divorce forms and paperwork take 2-3 business days or sooner to process, excluding weekends and holidays. Then they will be emailed to you. We can also mail them to you for a one time printing and mailing fee of $25. Faxing is not available, because they have to be original documents. (Note: These are our goals and standards for processing times - not promises. Your particular processing time may be slightly longer or shorter, of course.)
Back To Top / See Prices

Is “Service” to the Defendant covered in the price?
“Service” to your Spouse is not covered in the price of our service. However we give you instructions on how it can be done for FREE in an Agreed Divorce. Also, a process server, like a County Sheriff, could do the service for a small fee, usually around 30-40 dollars. Call your local Sheriff’s Office for “Servicing” information.
Back To Top / See Prices

How does it work?
After the ordering process, fill in the Portable Divorce Questionnaire and submit it back to us by email, fax, or regular mail. We complete your state specific divorce paperwork in 2-3 business days and email it to you for your review. Once you have what you want, then sign and print your paperwork and take it down to your local county courthouse. You attend your final hearing and read the "Sample Courtroom Statement" that comes FREE with our service. The judge rubber-stamps your divorce paperwork and you are divorced.
Back To Top / See Prices / See our Divorce Service Overview


What are the free gifts?

Gift 1 Sample Courtroom Statement ($49 Value):

Wouldn't it be nice to know what to say when you are in the Courtroom with the Judge? Of course it would. That is why we give you a "Sample Courtroom Statement" to read from, when it is your turn to speak. It is jam packed with the specific information that the Judge wants to hear to complete your divorce case. Our competitors don't even come close to offering this level of service. Only the Divorce Do It Yourself Service offers a Sample Courtroom Statement.


Gift 2 Marital Settlement Agreement ($179 Value):

The MSA is a court document that describes exactly how the property will be divided as well as it deals with how to handle any children involved in the divorce. With our Divorce Service the Marital Settlement Agreement is NOT an add on, like with many other services. We give it to our customers FREE OF CHARGE. It is our free gift to you.


Gift 3 Name Change ($139 Value):

In many divorces the wife would like to have a name change to that of her former maiden name. This can be accomplished through using our Divorce Service FOR FREE.


Back To Top / See Prices


Should I get a divorce?
We wholeheartedly believe that divorce should never be taken lightly. That is why we will never tell you that it’s time for you to get a divorce. We will never try to “sell” divorce to you or encourage you to give up on your marriage. Our only purpose is to make the process as painless and easy as possible for those who have already decided that divorce is the right choice for them.
Back To Top / See Prices


How do we divide up property and children custody in the divorce?
We handle only uncontested divorces. This means that you and your spouse will have to agree on how assets and custody will be divided. (or at least not be willing to fight with lawyers about it)  Once you have agreed on how to divide things up, we prepare the documents required to do so.
Back To Top / See Prices


Are there any hidden costs?
Our service is a standard flat rate. We will not charge you any hidden or unexpected fees. However, your county courthouse will require a filing fee when you file the paperwork. This fee varies from one county to another, so we strongly recommend calling your local county courthouse to find out how much the filing fee is. They usually range from $100 -$200 dollars on average.
Back To Top / See Prices


What do I do after I get the forms?
We provide complete filing instructions along with our completed forms. Once your paperwork is completed, finishing the divorce is simply a matter of filing the forms at your courthouse and attending a final hearing as a formality. Our instructions also contain a sample courtroom statement that you can read during the final hearing. We are here to answer any questions our customers have and will never leave you confused about what to do next.
Back To Top / See Prices


I’m worried about internet scams.
Many people are wary of ordering any kind of service on the internet, and we understand that. We would like to assure you that we are a legitimate business with years of experience behind us. We have served many happy customers and some have even written back to thank us for making their divorce simple and fast. See our testimonies page with letters from satisfied customers. If for some reason the court rejects your forms and we can’t fix them, see our Guarantee for a quick and easy remedy. Also, we use full, up to date security on our site and make sure that using our service provides no risk to our customers.
Back To Top / See Prices


Will the court really accept these forms?
Once you order our service and fill out the simple questionnaire, our paralegals use that information to complete divorce forms that are specific to your situation and your location. We don’t offer the generic, one-size-fits-all forms that some of our competitors do. Our forms are guaranteed to be exactly what your local courthouse requires. If the court rejects our forms and we can’t fix them, see our Guarantee for a quick and easy remedy.
Back To Top / See Prices


Can’t I fill out the forms myself?
The forms required by most courts can be very difficult to understand and have very strict requirements. Our paralegals are trained and qualified to fill out the forms your local courthouse requires. By choosing to use our service, you ensure that your divorce paperwork is filled out correctly and will not be rejected by the court.
Back To Top / See Prices


Do you offer legal advice?
We do not offer legal advice or represent you in court. You however, have a constitutional right to legally represent yourself. Our job is to make that process simple and easy to understand. We can’t answer questions about “what should I do?” but we can answer “how do I do it?”.

If you do require legal advice, we have a partner service that can help you. You can simply pay a small monthly fee and get all the legal advice you need. You can cancel anytime, of course.

Back To Top / See Prices


Types of Divorces we do:

Can you help me get an Annulment?
Yes we can. Annulments are more narrowly defined than a divorce, so you must qualify. see: get an annulment.
Back To Top / See Prices

Divorce with Children:
Child support, child custody, and visitation issues are part of many divorces that we do. You don't need a lawyer to do your divorce if you have children. That is just a popular misconception. As long as the divorce is uncontested, meaning you and your spouse can find common ground and agree to the arrangements/terms of the matter, we can help. Or, if you have a Default Divorce, where one of the spouses defaults on his/her side of the case, we can help you. We are very familiar with the issues governing child support, custody, and visitation for divorces with children.
Back To Top / See Prices

Divorce with Property:

"Property" includes the house, cars, furniture, pets, and many other things. Don't hesitate if some of the big ticket items still have outstanding debt on them. We can help you divide up any assets and debt between you and your spouse. You just tell us how you want things split up and we will prepare the forms accordingly. The judge will typically honor all your requests without a problem (as long as you both agree).
Back To Top / See Prices

Default Divorce VS Agreed Divorce:
A default divorce is any divorce that results in the defending party defaulting on their end of the case due to inactivity or lack of involvement in the case. In simple terms: Your Spouse doesn't do anything and you automatically win by default. Agreed divorce implies that the spouse agrees to the divorce and participates in it. We do uncontested cases of both types. Also, see "Missing Spouse" for information on how to do a divorce if your spouse is missing.
Back To Top / See Prices

Missing Spouse Divorce:

Don't let the fact that you don't know where your spouse is stop you from getting a divorce. There are ways, such as "service by publication", to serve your spouse even without knowing their whereabouts.

If your spouse has abandoned you and you can't find him/her, or you simply lost contact with your spouse over time, the "Missing Spouse Divorce" is your solution to the problem. Normally, in a divorce, you would know where your spouse is located so that you can serve them with the divorce papers. However, if you don't know where your spouse is, you have to show the divorce court that you have made a diligent effort to find them. The way the court will accept your special situation, is if you run a newspaper ad informing your spouse that there is a divorce proceeding against them. This is called Service By Publication. To be more specific, this is the order of how things happen:

  • First you gather all the divorce forms and get them completed.
  • Then you file the divorce forms at the court like you would with a normal divorce.
  • Once you've filed the divorce, you run the ad in the newspaper.
    • Feel free to shop around. Which local newspapers to run your ad in is your choice.
    • Sometimes the court clerk can recommend which paper to use (they do it all the time).

And to complete that aspect of the divorce, you will also be signing an affidavit (statement) stating that you looked for your spouse to the best of your ability.

If after a mandatory waiting period your spouse does not respond to the outstanding legal matter (divorce) and you can show to the court that you have made diligent efforts to find your spouse, then the divorce can proceed in a regular Default Divorce manner. Your spouse automatically defaulted on his/her end. If any or all of this isn't making any sense to you... don't worry. Most of our clients learn as they go. However, remember we do NOT give legal advice on what anyone should do in their particular circumstances.
Back To Top / See Prices

Military Divorce:

Military Divorce means that you or your spouse are a member of the military and on active duty. Unlike much of our competition, we actually do divorces for military members or spouses of military personnel. But, we can only do them under the following circumstances:

  • The divorce is uncontested and both parties will sign the divorce documents. No problems with the Soldier and Sailor Relief Act.
  • One spouse has to be in the US and willing to do the footwork (file the divorce and appear in court for the hearing) if the other is stationed outside the US. That allows the spouse who is in the military (overseas) to not have to appear in court at all.
  • The spouse who is in the military must have a way to sign the forms (typically by mail).

If the Military Spouse is filing, keep in mind that in regards to Residency Requirements:

You can file where your boots are on the ground at the moment or, if you don't qualify for residency in that State, you can file where the Military says your "home state " is. Most of the time, our customers like to file where they are currently living, rather than the State the Military says is their "home state" or where they have a drivers liscence.

Bottom Line: Most of the time, if the spouse in the military is in agreement to the terms of the divorce, you can use our service to get your divorce done.
Back To Top / See Prices

What is the Soldiers/Sailors Relief Act?

Divorcing a person who is in the military or filing divorce while in the military has its own special provisions. The following information applies to Army Divorce, Navy Divorce, Air Force Divorce, and Marines Divorce. None of it is "said or implied legal advice". If you need legal advice, see an authorized legal professional such as a lawyer.

The recently amended soldiers and sailors relief act allows the military defendant (person being filed against who is in the military) in a divorce to put a temporary "stay" on the proceedings. This means that if you file for divorce and serve your military spouse, the spouse can choose to respond and and hold up the case from proceeding for a "reasonable amount of time", therefore prolonging the whole process. The wait is typically 30 to 60 days. And although not indefinite, the "stay", under special circumstances, can be even longer.

And just to further clarify all angles, the soldiers and sailors relief act does not automatically put a hold on any proceedings concerning military personnel. The military person in question simply has the option to do so. Therefore, if they choose not to respond at all (which happens), they can still default on their end and you can get your divorce granted based on the Default.

In conclusion, the soldiers and sailors relief act puts military personnel at an advantage by giving them certain privileges and protection. That is the main reason we only do agreed military divorces as opposed to uncertain ones (even if there is a good chance the military person might default on their end of the case).
Back To Top / See Prices / See also: Military Divorce


Contested Divorce
We can do the first part of a contested divorce. If you suspect your spouse will want to get a lawyer and fight you on the terms of the divorce, usually it is better to FILE THE DIVORCE FIRST, before the spouse’s lawyer gets involved. The best case scenario is that you file first, and serve the paperwork on your spouse, then at that point, sometimes the spouse does NOTHING. Which then goes to a Default Divorce Divorce. That’s good…..However, if the spouse chooses to fight you in court over a “term of the divorce”, then you will have to get a lawyer too. You would simply pack up all the paperwork that you filed so far, and then take it to your new lawyer’s office and continue the case from there. So, the worst case scenario is that you got the whole first part of your divorce done for a couple hundred dollars using our service, instead of a couple thousand dollars using the lawyer.
Back To Top / See Prices


General Divorce Questions:


My Spouse is in Prison or Jail?
Yes, we can still do your divorce. But, in this situation, it is better if your spouse is in agreement with the divorce and signs the divorce papers. We can still do your divorce if it is a Default Divorce, but it is more difficult. Just make sure it is not a Contested Divorce.
Back To Top / See Prices

Not a US Citizen?
Yes, we can still do your divorce if you or your spouse are not a US Citizen. But, you must fulfill the Residency Requirement for the US State you live in.
Back To Top / See Prices

Can I get Divorced in Canada?
Yes, we can do your divorce if you are Canadian and living in Canada. Call us first 1-800-743-9236
Back To Top / See Prices

Can I do a Bankruptcy in a Divorce?
Yes, but you should try to do them separately if you can.
Back To Top / See Prices